The Mediterranean Diet – A Real Look
Updated: Feb 19, 2019
To follow on from the previous post, I have researched some tasty, easy to make, traditional Mediterranean dishes that should not only excite your taste buds but also be easy on your wallet due to the high vegetable and grain content, typically the cheaper ingredients in the dish. I have split these into breakfast, lunch and dinner, and provided you with a shopping list below.
Total cost for one person for the whole day: £2.45
Multigrain Bread – 1 loaf
Tomatoes – 1 pack
Garlic Bulb - 1
Fresh Parsley – 1 pack
Chestnut Mushrooms – 1 pack
Yellow Onion – 1
Red Onion – 1
Arborio or Sushi Rice – 1 pack
Vegan Stock – 1 pack
White Wine (any) – 250ml bottle
Aubergines – 1
Couscous – 1 small pack
Red Pepper – 2
Mixed Beans – 1 tin
Pan con Tomate
Cooking Time: 5 minutes.
For anyone who knows me personally, will know how much I adore ‘Pan con Tomate’ (Spanish for tomatoes on toast) which is why I have included this favourite here. Not only do I love this dish for its taste, but also for how inexpensive, healthy, filling and easy to make it is.
For one serving (cost per serving: 67p)
Multigrain Bread – 2 Slices
Tomatoes - 2
Garlic – 1 Clove
Olive Oil – Drizzle
Fresh Parsley (Optional)
Onion Granules (Optional)
1) Toast two slices of multigrain bread (or bread of your preference).
2) Chop/shred the tomatoes.
3) Finely chop or mince the garlic clove, mixing it in with the shredded tomato mixture. If you have some available, mix in a sprinkle of onion granules.
4) Spread the tomato mixture over the toast.
5) Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the tomatoes (to your taste, but I recommend no more than a teaspoon).
6) If you have it available, add some chopped fresh parsley to the top of the tomatoes for extra flavour.
of which sugars: 11.1g
It really is as easy as that! A simple dish like this can be made in the morning in no time, to save even more time the tomato mixture could even be made and kept in a container in the fridge for the next morning. Lunch and dinner to be published shortly!